Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Google invoked Identity Crisis

I prefer Brazilian
I will first give a slight introduction to my interest or more specifically, the particular kind of knowledge that has been put at my disposition (very generously and interestingly!) the last 5 weeks. I am taking two 'technology' oriented subjects here at Bond, one being,digital media and society and the other, internet marketing. 
Here, I will refer mainly to internet marketing knowledge - (but you should thank my DMS class for being able to read this blog!). 
Being the internet and involving marketing means that a lot of information about search engine optimization, adwords, etc. is covered. From personal interest, I have researched the subjects further. Meaning that I have come to grasp a general understanding of how it works. How the information you search on google, or information from your emails and facebook are used for "target marketing"(I have to show off my new vocab *wink* ;-)).

My personal opinion on the matter is that I like reading relevant advertising, although discomforting knowing that google probably knows more about me than I probably do (meant as a joke - but who knows??)! - I said this and realised, that my next point probably contradicts this statement completely (or so I hope!). 

Lately I have received advertising(obviously!). 90% of which has been in dutch. This morning I somewhat translated something about hiring a brazilian belly dancer and then I have seen tons of coffee ad's. Some perfume and make up here and there (=D). 

I hope google is wrong about me, I thought I knew that I wasn't dutch. That I lived in denmark not Holland. As far as I know, I haven't showed special interest in belly dancers and I rarely drink coffee! At decided to rejoice in the fact that I like to smell good and look pretty and it was working until this ad popped up in my screen:

For the record: I have dates, ok?

I have been categorized a geek, I wonder what I was searching in google!

So, all you guys who thought you knew me. Think again! I am a nice smelling dutch belly-dancer-watching geek!

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment